Winter Care for Violets

In the winter I like to think of my violets as taking a big rest. They don't get as much attention as they do in the spring and summer but they still need the same good care. They need grooming and a watchful eye year round.




I weather strip and take extra care to make sure my violets in the windows do not get too cool. I usually cut their hours of light as they don't need as much in the winter. It's the natural rhythm of the seasons for them to slow down in their growth and nutrients need to be adjusted for them also. Less fertilizer in their water will be a benefit during the winter.

Although many pests are dormant or eradicated before winter comes, you still need to be vigilant when inspecting your plants and preventative maintenance. I noticeably use way less spray in the winter. But, cooler temps and humidity can cause mildew to pop up. Dry air from indoor heating can also cause the leaves to be brittle. It's a delicate balance. Humidity trays are very helpful in the winter.

I still start new leaves in the winter. You can do that year round but I don't do much re-potting in the winter. I do a lot of grooming off old dead leaves and flowers though. Mine are still blooming here and there. A lot of violets are lost in the winter because water levels still need to be checked and when you get busy with the holidays, you tend to forget.




I'm very much a seasonal person so you probably won't hear much from me in the winter months. I use the down time to clean out messy corners and catch up on my sewing and paper crafts. I'll be back out in the yard and at it again in the spring.

I can hardly believe how big my space violets have gotten. I've had to move one to a six inch pot and it may outgrow that soon. I can't believe how hardy they are!

Well I thought I would love the baggy liners in my reservoirs so I would never have to wash them again but I'm so lazy about preparing the reservoirs with them and it seems they get algae twice as fast in the liners than without them so I thought I had a good fix for a problem but now I think I'll go back to reservoirs without baggy liners. They are quicker and easier to switch out and have far less algae for some reason. Who knows. You have to experiment to see what works best for you I guess.






The baggy liners don't allow as much water to be poured into the containers so they have to be constantly refilled. So that's a fail on that. I'm trying to save some time here, not add more to it. So it's back to washing out containers every week. The good news is that I have discovered my cheap dollar containers can be safely washed in the dishwasher on the top rack. YEA!

So it's not that hard to just let your violets do their own thing during the winter months with minimal care. You can use the down time too.

Here's wishing you Happy Holidays and a blessed New Year! Let's get on with 2019 and make it a great year for violeting!




Comments

Popular Posts