Spring Babies 2019



BEING SELECTIVE

Well, I really didn't start any leaves after last spring because I wanted to downsize my collection a bit. And I really have cramped quarters for growing them. So while cleaning off my shelves this spring and taking count of just what I have, I was surprised that I have so many babies still.

Apparently I did grow a bunch of Rose Bouquet (my fav) and some Watermelon Snow (their sport). I also propagated a few others and lost a few of my Rob's minis. That's ok with me since I got tired of fussing with them anyway. I like a good sturdy plant that doesn't mind being neglected at times. Only the strong survive in my garden.


NARROWING IT DOWN

So now I have a boatload of just a few of my favorites. I have a die hard Sansoucy Coco someone sent me that I didn't think I would really like but she is growing on me. It's my only white violet and what makes it special is its variegated leaves and its hardiness.

I love the coloring of Witch Doctor but it's hard to grow and a little on the slow side. I have great luck with the space violets - probably because they like to be left alone and I give them steady water but mostly just ignore them. Some people call it neglect but some plants don't like to be messed with. Yes, they are tempermental sometimes believe it or not.




I have found that the babies and leaf pots I started last year have gotten big and hearty over the winter. I attribute this to keeping them domed and using bottom irrigation trays. They thrive on humidity especially in the winter. Their water doesn't evaporate as fast so they stay evenly moist. And that makes all the difference.

Well, I will have to get rid of some plants this year too. I was hoping to only trade in leaves but the plants have thrived again.


Comments

Popular Posts