How To Propagate AV Leaves In Soil

SOIL OR WATER

There is an easy way to propagate African Violets and you can do it by sticking the leaf in water or soil. No one way is better than the other, it just depends on which way you have more success with. Personally, I have good success either way. Your chances for success are increased if you take your leaf from the next to outside or middle row of leaves on your plant. Older leaves might eventually produce but may take a lot longer.



I grew up watching my Mom make baby violets by putting a leaf in a baby food jar of water with a hole in a wax paper lid tied on with a rubber band. She used what she had. I did not know you could make violet babies any other way until several years ago when I saw someone do it with soil. I tried it both ways and you should too.


THE RIGHT MIX

So to propagate a leaf in soil you need a light mix. Sphagnum and perlite will do just fine or any soil that does not compact. I use nearly half perlite in mine to keep it airy. You can even put them in perlite alone and they will root. You must experiment to see what works for you. Take some little cups (I use condiment and/or 1 oz shot cups) and poke 3 or 4 holes in the bottom with a sharp knife. I use an exacto knife sterilized with alcohol. You can also use a soldering iron to burn holes in them but melting plastic gives off fumes so be careful with that. Then fill them with your mix then cut the leaf stem at a 45 degree angle with the cut facing up on the stem and about a half inch to one inch from the base of the leaf. I often cut the top third off my leaves but they will produce even if you don't. Some people think it helps to stimulate the root growth like pinching a plant does. African Violets take root easily so you don't need any rooting hormone. 




Just stick the end of the leaf in and make sure your soil/soilless mix is damp but not wet. Then place your pots in a container with a lid. I use recycled clear acrylic boxes that salad greens, potato salad or other food items come in. Then I just place a lid on and set them on a shelf where they get light but no direct sunlight. Don't forget to label your individual leaf pots. Some people just plant the leaf in the corner of a baggie of soil mix, close it up and hang it up. It doesn't take up shelf space that way but I've never tried it myself.





HUMIDITY MATTERS

The humidity will help them grow babies. Sometimes I put them on gravel and water the gravel when they start to dry out. If too much moisture builds up on the inside of my container, I open the lid slightly so it can escape. After about 2 to six weeks you should see babies starting to poke through the dirt at the base of the leaf. Don't get discouraged if it takes longer. I once waited over 3 months for babies to appear on a Buckeye Seductress leaf. It must have been an old leaf.





You need to check on them every few days and add a little water when needed or loosen the lid if too wet. If you really want to be a lazy propagator, just stick the leaves in water instead of soil. You don't have to worry about watering them and if you forget them, they can grow babies under water for a while until you pot them up. I've grown them both ways successfully and so can you. Nothing to it. After you grow your first baby you too will be an expert!




Make a lot of violet babies for cheap, expand your collection and Happy Violeting!




Comments

Popular Posts