Emerald Lace and More of It

With a name like Emerald Lace, you would think the flowers on this plant would be green, no? No. They are purple with green edges. But still strangely beautiful. This is one of my favorites.






You should have seen it before I groomed it and cleaned it up. It was a tangled mess of leaves but ready to bloom so I decided at the last minute to separate the suckers and pot them up. I got three suckers in pretty good size off of this one plant. And any time you remove suckers, you also accidentally get a few broken leaves right along with them. It can't be helped. So I pot them up too.






A lot of growers will not do that if a plant is getting ready or already in full bloom but I've learned that the violets don't seem to pay any attention to being groomed and even re-potted while they're in full bloom. They just keep going no matter what I do. Removing the suckers lets them put more energy toward producing more flowers. I like that.






I've even known some growers to pluck off every bud and stalk on their plants every time they bloom, sometimes for strange reasons. I don't understand that - unless you're going to enter them in competition for ribbons and you're timing the blooms for a show.

I actually wait for mine to bloom and check them daily. I take pictures of all of them in various stages of development so I'll have a record of how beautiful they are. I'm hopelessly in love with them and Emerald Lace is a real beauty. You can't have only one of them. More is better.



Comments

Popular Posts