I'm Always Touching My Violets

That's the thing with violets... you want to touch them! They are so pretty they kind of demand your attention and when they do, you like to pick them up and really look at them.





I have developed a sixth sense for mine. I'm always looking at them. If I see a wilted flower, I pick up the plant and pick off the dead flowers and leaves. And, while I'm holding it, I automatically feel the weight of it to see if it needs a drink or is too wet. I also notice if it is top heavy and might be outgrowing its pot or maybe the new leaves are too tight. Sometimes they just needs a row of droopy old leaves removed. Is there an extra leaf I can propagate or will it look funny if I take one?

I examine the dirt and blow on the flowers to see if anything is moving. I'm looking for thrips and bugs. I notice if the leaves are pale or if they look thick and fuzzy. If anything doesn't look right, I look some more. I might lift the plant, dirt and all out of the pot and take a peek at the roots.

That's what I do every time I pick up a violet. My automatic radar kicks in and previous experience lets me know what it needs. That's really all there is to growing violets. You just have to notice everything about them and make adjustments to what you find. It's really great when you don't find anything wrong so you can just enjoy their beauty until the next time you pick one up.

That's the secret to my success with african violets. I have over 70 varieties and counting. I probably have over 300 plants/plantlets/babies in various stages of growth and it only takes me an hour or two once or twice a week to groom and grow them. The rest of the time I'm enjoying them. I'm not saying I don't spend an extra afternoon every now and then just repotting, mixing soil or propagating them because sometimes I do, but not every week.

If you pay attention to them they will thrive. I have a lot of other interest too but most days I'm a pretty happy person living amongst the violets.



Comments

Popular Posts