Recycled Growing System for Minis

I'm a big fan of recycled plastic especially for my garden and violet collection. I put together the cutest little display and water dome system for some of my minis after thinking about how to display them and partition one off in case I have to. There is an island of plastic garbage twice the size of Texas floating in the ocean. So doing something is better than doing nothing. And saving the planet is a very noble cause... or you can just do it because you're being cheap and trying to save a buck like I do. :)~







I take an 8 oz. or 16 oz. deli container that I've recycled and turned it into a contained holder for a mini. That's not new in itself since I've seen many violet growers who do this online. But I recycle 2 and 3 liter pop bottles into domes. And the 2 liter domes fit the deli container lids exactly. You can cut the bottle as short or tall as you want.






So you can enclose or just display your mini plants in style. First, rinse the pop bottle out with warm water. It will make the label easier to peel off. I use Goo Gone to remove the sticky label residue but you can also remove it with any oil you have on hand or even peanut butter because it contains peanut oil. Try not to scratch the plastic as you clean it so it stays clear and shiny. You can use a soft sponge but no scratch pads.

Then you can remove the ink date stamp printing on the plastic with acetone finger nail polish remover and polish the clean bottle with a soft dry cloth. For extra shine polish it inside and out with furniture polish when you are completely done. Paper towels and abrasive window cleaners will scratch your plastic domes.

Then I just glue a table scatter diamond onto the opening just because it's pretty and makes it look like a bell jar. The jewel doesn't fit the opening exactly and the glue leaves small holes around the opening. You can leave them like that or fill in with a clear drying glue whichever you want.

You can also glue a width of roll bling over the ridges if you want to get really fancy or just cut the ridges completely off before you glue the scatter jewel on. That will give you a bell jar look without a neck.




The pop enclosures can be used with the deli containers, glass candle holders or all by themselves. I also poke a few holes into some of mine around the top because violets like air and I can control the humidity better. You could also burn the holes with a soldering iron if you want a smooth edge.

There you have cute little humidity domes for a few pennies worth of bling. EASY - PEASY glam for your violets.



Comments

Popular Posts