Trays of Babies

Just taking inventory of my trays. I have at least a couple of hundred plantlets coming up and I'm putting down more! Can you have too many violets? I think not.






I'm putting down leaves of some of my favorites. I just have to wait for my chimeras to produce suckers because I have not been able to grow anything from a stem. I don't like picking off perfectly good flowers to do it anyway.






I have heard it said that when a plant produces suckers, it means it has been stressed. Suckers are a survival thing. I guess I really stressed my Yukako out then because I just got three suckers and a little bit of a leftover plant out of it. That's going from one Yukako to four - just by removing and potting up the suckers.

All the ones below are Kentucky Gooseberries.






Of course you have to dome them until they grow enough roots to make it on their own in a pot but WOW. These two space violet leaves are already producing babies.






Most of the starter plants I got last year have bloomed except for my starter pots of Rob's varieties and a couple of Jolly's (Jolly Pepper, Jolly Cupid). I guess they are still too young to flower.







This one container of two leaves are Optimara's "Modesty". They took the longest of any leaf I have ever tried to get to produce babies. Somebody must have sent me old leaves. They took 4 months! I can't stop propagating and growing these things! :)~


I LOVE VIOLETS!!! I'm already starting my wish list for this spring... Mac's Scorching Sun... Angel's Petticoat... Jolly Texan Sport... Watermelon Snow (if my Rose Bouquet doesn't sport into one) among a few others.



Comments

Popular Posts