Getting Ready for Winter

I grow most of my violets and some of my best bloomers in my east and south windows. Even though my windows are fairly new and double-paned, insulated vinyl windows, they still can be a little drafty. I can't explain it because that was the number two selling point when I bought them. The number one selling point with me was that they tilt in to be cleaned and after 20 plus years of knuckle busting old storm windows, I was ready to have easy clean windows at my whim.






But even the best windows can loosen and get drafty with time. African violets are susceptible to cold and drafts in particular so knowing this, you will want to take extra precautions to protect your violets. At the very least, you should tape the seams of your windows in winter. I'll tell you what I've done and why it works for me but you probably have your own ideas and setup anyway.

I have taped drop cloth plastic to the inside of all my violet windows to diffuse the light for them. It looks frosted. They love it. I also have mini-blinds on all these windows. I've taped the plastic just on the panes inside the frame so the windows can still raise on nice days.

When I close and lock my violet windows for winter, I don't expect to open them again until next Spring. So I add Frost King 4 ml crystal clear vinyl plastic sheeting on the inside of the whole window frame but underneath the mini-blinds. I've used this stuff for years on my old windows. I also have purchased vinyl shades if I need them. I don't have them up yet but they will go on the outside of the mini-blinds between the shelves and the window. My shelves are not right on the windows, they are a good 3 to 4 inches away from the windows.





All these layers take a little bit of coordination. I put my mini-blinds barely inside the window frame. I'm lucky I have old fashioned woodwork and frames so I can use several layers of protection for my violets.

As added protection if needed, I have cut cardboard to fit the windows at night. I just slide it between the back of the shelves and the windows. My violet room has its own heater to supplement the house heat (also if needed).

I guess you could say that I'm serious about growing my violets and keeping them happy! Yep, this is a serious hobby here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTES

March 30, 2018 - All of my plants did well this winter and are growing and getting bigger. The room stayed evenly heated at between 64° - 68°. My thermostat for the house in winter is always set to 68°


Comments

Popular Posts