Crater Lake 2016

Well, I got lucky this time. I found this at Lowes the day after the delivery date, so the pickings were pretty slim overall. The whole lot of violets looked a little beat up by the time I got there the next day. They had not arrived the morning they were suppose to so I had to go back the next day. Actually, they probably had arrived, just not put on the shelf yet.






But - there was this one little deep purple blooming plant in the very back that must have gotten overlooked. Even though at the time, it only had one open flower, I knew right away that it was special because of the double plus bloom. It is a deep purple with a slightly pastel center of unopened petals. It does not photograph as pretty as the actual color. I would call the color deep grape. It has lighter purple unopened buds and the edges of the petals are slightly lighter in color too. It's just a beautiful plant. I can hardly wait to see it with all the buds open in its full glory! It looks like little purple roses. So pretty!

I got it home and looked it up and it turns out to be Crater Lake 2016. You hardly ever find an unusual or new variety of violet at Lowes. Mostly drowning and dying violets there. I think they get so neglected in transit and sitting on the shelves that you really shouldn't buy one that is in really bad shape to begin with. I was just about to give up on finding anything special there when I found this one. Every now and then you run across a winner. I was hoping for a Smokey Mountains or a Rocky Mountain but I'll settle for a beautiful Crater Lake 2016.

So, yes you can find and grow beautiful violets that you get locally, if you're lucky and you start out with ones that look healthy to begin with. What better way to start this hobby on a budget and learn how to take care of them. And there are times when you make a real find like this!







Comments

Popular Posts