Miss Piggy and Kermit

I've never had much success in starting african violet leaves in water, but I know many people who have. I've tried to start a Miss Piggy violet with four other leaves in my rooting mix and they all withered and died. I probably could have saved money if I'd just bought the plant! But now it's a challenge and I'm going to get some babies out of these leaves one way or the other.






So, this time I thought I'd try to root her in water. I want one of these so badly. I love the flowers and I love the name. Next, I'll need a Kermit to go with her if I'm successful.

I did learn something I didn't know about rooting leaves recently. All this time I've been using rooting hormone powder on my leaves and I found out you don't need it with violets. In fact it could be bad for them if you put on too much and it could keep them from taking root. I have a pretty high success rate for growing babies with or without rooting powder but I did not know this. It's still O.K. to use it if you want to but put it on sparingly so it doesn't ball up and clog the root end.

Occasionally everyone has a leaf or two die back that just won't put down roots. They kind of shrivel up and it's not the soil because I group leaves in the same big container of soil a lot and most of them are just fine.

But for the life of me I've never been able to get a Miss Piggy to root in soil so maybe they will in water. Pig toes crossed this time that it works!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTES

July 2018 - Yes! I finally have some Miss Piggy babies coming along nicely. I finally rooted a leaf in water and got five or six babies. I've already sold a few but I have some left and they are big and beautiful plantlets now. I have yet to have any bloom as of yet though. Persistence pays off!

August 12, 2018 - My Kermit leaves all died too. :(  I've tried twice now. Once to grow from leaves in soil and I bought a plant that was not delivered. The seller substituted it at the last minute with another plant. Some day I will have a Kermit!!!






Comments

Popular Posts