I Love Space Violets

I have loved space violets ever since I first saw them. What's not to love? They are extremely ruffled and very fancy-schmansy looking. Even the leaves are extraordinary. Very feminine! And... they are what they call "constant bloomers". That means that as blooms fade off, new ones open up. Apparently they don't take a rest. The original seeds were sent into space and mutated. I think all the Russian violets look like that too. Maybe they did the same thing.






This space violet, Ever Beautiful has different shades of blue and purple throughout the flower. It is very pretty and the photo is exactly like the color of the plant. Any time you get a violet that you like that much, you should propagate it right away. Take a leaf and put it down in dirt or in water because you never know. I've brought home violets that bloom once and then try to die on me. It's up to me to figure out why. (Usually is a pest or overwatering problem.) I've learned the hard way to just buy healthy violets to begin with and they are less trouble to grow.






I've occasionally had a plant just up and die no matter what I did to try and save it. So if you love one that much, take a leaf while it is healthy.

I used to only start my leaves in a soilless mix of sphagnum moss and perlite but now I start one in dirt, one in water. For some reason that I've not been able to figure out, some leaves just will not root in dirt no matter what you do. Nearly all leaves will root in water and then can be moved to a soilless mix to grow up.






There is a space violet that I can't find anywhere and I think I know why. The Optimara space violet EverGrace is a light purple violet. I've seen more chimeras produced from propagation on that one type than any other but you can't even buy an EverGrace from Optimara or anywhere that I know of. Hmmm... if it sports into chimeras often, they probably want to limit that and capitalize on it somehow... I'm guessing.


  

Comments

Popular Posts