Violets Close Up

Everything you can learn about african violets parts and pests reminds me of botany class I once did in Biology. Labeling, listing, cross pollinating, documenting, categorizing, microscopic drawings of pests and plant material. This is botany. It's gone beyond simple houseplant growing now for me and become a whole lot more interesting. The anthers hold pollen.







African violets can get pretty complicated sometimes because it is such an interesting hobby. If you did well in biology class, you will love getting your feet wet in studying violets close up. Here is a good close-up of a violet stigma. That's the part inside the flower that is the receptacle for pollen.






I got a 60x jewelers lens on the advice of another AV grower and boy, it opens up a whole new world when you can see what's going on under the surface of what you can see with the naked eye. If you can see a few bugs on your plants and treat them before they become an outbreak, you've saved a plant. You can also see how hairy the leaves and flowers are.






What I really love is the ability of my jeweler's loupe to attach to my phone and take pictures of the micro world going on right on my own violets! I just love that. This might be scary out in a real buggy garden though! I bet you could find fleas on your dog with this! I knew the leaves were hairy but I did not know the flowers were so hairy too.






In biology class we had to draw what we saw and how accurate it was depended on your artistic ability. Although I always liked to do the drawing part too, there is no question of accuracy when you have a photo. If you don't like bugs, you're going to be really creeped out when you see them up close.



Comments

Popular Posts