Big on Recycling Plastic

I've always been big on recycling plastic as much as possible and growing plants gives me a reason to re-use plastic a lot. Instead of buying trays, cups and containers to grow my violets in, I wash out and re-use a lot of food container plastics.





Occasionally, I still need a specific size cup or pot and it's O.K. to get what you need but I've hated throwing away plastic since even before I learned there is an island of plastic floating in the ocean twice the size of Texas. That's all our fault people. I also try to recycle newspaper. Trees are a renewable resource, all plastic does is pollute the planet.

I drink filtered water instead of bottled water partly because of all the pollution and waste that comes with plastic but the real reason I recycle is - wait for it - "I'm cheap". I would never pay a dollar for a bottle of water I can get out of my own tap through a filter.

The money I save from not buying plastic can be used to buy more violets! I make dome lids out of 2 liter pop bottles and if you want to make them look fancy you can glue on a jewel scatter plastic gem on the top. The hole is round and the gem is faceted so there will be little air holes where you glue them together. Violets need air holes. But you can also cut holes in the sides if needed.

I also love to re-use clear food containers. Sometimes you can get all the labels off easy like deli, salad and potato salad containers. For stubborn sticky glue I use Goo Gone.

I also love cups with dome lids. Anything with a lid can keep in humidity for a tiny plant. You can get clear plastic saucers or round mirrors from a dollar store for the base and make a violet a very pretty gift to give with a jeweled dome lid made out of a recycled plastic bottle.


Comments

Popular Posts