Growing Pains

I've only been growing my current collection of violets for a few months now but already I've seen my plants go from soggy store bought violets into healthy, strong, flower maniac violets in that short time with proper care.





I have to confess that when I look to buy a violet in the local stores, I look for plants with suckers that I can divide right away or healthy leaves to take in case it doesn't make it. I have found two separate violets in the same pot occasionally and I always check under the leaves for unwanted pests and damage. But almost always store bought plants are soggy wet and they haven't been groomed.

I'm a sucker (no pun intended) for chimeras and bi-colors. I also love the ruffled and fancy leaves. I have several shelves up but now I'm considering replacing them with wider shelves so they can hold more plants.

And I like to supplement window light with strip led lights for the winter months and those dreary gray days so every shelf could use a light. (You can see how this inexpensive hobby could get out of hand.)

I am slowing down in buying plants. If I could only quit trying to rescue them from the stores. I am a plant rescuer. My garden is full of previously half dead plants off the sale rack that just needed to be planted and are now thriving just as beautiful as any other. It's very rewarding to be able to bring back a plant from the brink.

The only drawback is that eventually, no matter how many windows and how much yard space you have, you will eventually run out of room if you don't start getting more selective about what you love to grow. Gardening is a very addictive hobby... but a rewarding one! I can't think of anything better than being surrounded by beautiful blooming flowers everyday.



Comments

Popular Posts