Trouble in Paradise

Well, it was inevitable that at some point I would run across a problem with fungus gnats... oh no they didn't! Oh yes they did! I inspect my violets every day. I handle them a lot, updating pictures, grooming, watering and moving them around.

And it's a good thing I do because I found a gnat on my Maine II and there's never only one gnat. And it just busted out in full bloom again. Well, as usual, maybe I panicked but this has worked for me before so I used it again. It doesn't harm the leaves or flowers. Fortunately they are easy to get rid of with dish soap and/or a neem oil solution.

This is my Maine II before spraying. It is a pretty one:





First thing I do when I see a pest or fuzz of any kind - I spray the effected plant flowers and leaves all over and I mean ALL over with Gardensafe fungicide 3 with neem oil. I spray top and bottom of each flower and leaf, the soil, the outside and rim of the pot, the gravel base, the shelf... did I say everything? I get the plant dripping wet (do this outside or over a trash bin) and I put it on a top shelf to dry quickly. Warm air rises.

I isolate the plant and spray ALL my shelves and pots around the plant paying extra attention to it's close buddies. Fungus gnats are attracted to damp soil... some people put a layer of vermiculite on the top of the soil but I don't think that would work because I always thought vermiculite holds water... hmmm

In a day or two I will re-inspect the plant and see if it can be moved safely back to its original shelf. I also go over each plant to make sure there is no dead vegetation on them to attract any bugs. Also, it might have come in from another plant - that's why I spray all the shelves and inspect again.

Drat the fungus and pests... always trying to spoil my happiness!


Comments

Popular Posts