Chimera Stem Propagation

You should try to learn something new everyday so I'm giving stem propagation a try for the first time on my favorite chimera. Although I hate the thought of picking a beautiful flower off of it after waiting so long for it to bloom again... it could give me another plant or two!





It only has three open flowers at the moment but several more buds are coming on. It is a relatively new plant and has only bloomed a couple of times. It has grown so big it is ready to be re-potted after this flush of blooms fade.

You just pull off a flower stem from the plant you want to do a cutting on and remove the flowers just above the little set of flower leaves. Then cut from 1/4 to 1/2 below those leaves. I dip the root end into a rooting hormone and just stick it into the rooting medium up to the leaves. Then it's just wait.



Stems take up so little room I can stick them in with other leaves here and there. I just have to remember to label them. I may want to try this trick with other plants too. I have a few chimeras and really hardy plants and I wouldn't mind having a few more of them using this method... if it works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTES

October 1, 2017 - All of these stems died on me. Not one survived. But I did get two suckers off of the Yukako plant that survived. Maybe I will try this method again later. Someone told me to cut the stem end longer and put into damp vermiculite. I might give that a try.



Comments

Popular Posts